Mickey Lolich and Tom Gage Headline October 20th Meeting
Exciting news, the next SABR Detroit meeting is October 20th from 1-530 PM at the Detroit Public Library (Galleria on the first floor) in Midtown Detroit, 5201 Woodward Ave. Mickey Lolich and Spink Award winning author Tom Gage will be discussing their new book “Joy in Tigertown“.
Lolich of course is best known as the Tigers hero of the 1968 World Series. Lolich is among one the best Tiger pitchers of all time, spending 13 of his 16 seasons in Detroit. Career numbers for the southpaw include 217 wins and 2,832 strikeouts. He was a three time all-star, winning twenty games twice, and topped 270 IP six consective seasons from ’69-’74.
Gage received the J.G. Taylor Spink Award in 2015 from the Baseball Writer’s Association of America and spent 39 years covering the Tigers for the Detroit News. The Hall of Fame writer has also authored “The Big 50“which came out in 2017.
• Mickey Lolich
1968 World Series MVP, 3-time All-Star, & 207 Wins in 13 seasons as Tigers No. 29
• Tom Gage
2015 J.G. Taylor Spink Award winner, Detroit BBWAA chair, & 37 Years Covering the Tigers
o Joe Lapointe
Detroit-NYC baseball and hockey writer & columnist as well as journalism professor
• 11:30–12:45 Optional Lunch at Traffic Jam, 511 W. Canfield in Midtown (RSVP to attend)
• 1:00–1:30 Meeting begins at Detroit Public Library with Welcome and 1968 Trivia Quiz
o M.C. & Quizmaster: Peter Hoyos
• 1:30–2:20 Mickey Lolich & Tom Gage will speak about their new book Joy in Tigertown: A Determined Team, a Resilient City, and our Magical Run to the 1968 World Series
• 2:20–2:35 BREAK (15 minutes)
• 2:35–3:30 Lolich & Gage will take questions and sign copies of their book
o $25 to purchase; cash and checks only
• 3:30–3:45 Trivia quiz answers and prizes
• 3:45–4:00 BREAK (15 minutes)
• 4:00–5:30 Panel discussion about the ‘68 season, the team’s 1969–73 denouement, and the enduring legacy of Detroit’s 1968 world champions
o Moderator: Steve Weingarden
o Panelists: Joe Lapointe, Dan D’Addona, and Gary Gillette
• 5:30–5:45 Hamtramck Stadium Update
Free parking might be available in the employee lot on south side of library, off Putnam Street between Cass & Woodward. If the gate to the employee lot is down, use Wayne State parking ramp directly across Putnam Street. There is also metered street parking on all four sides of the library.
RSVPs & Questions: Contact Gary Gillette [GGillette(at)HiddenGameSports.com]
As always, SABR Detroit meetings are free and open to the public. Non-members always welcome.
For information and directions to the Detroit Public Library, 5201 Woodward Avenue in Midtown: