On Saturday, January 26, a joint meeting of the Toledo/Bresnahan-Mudhens Chapter, Southeast Michigan/Don Lund Chapter, West Michigan/Wally Pipp Chapter, and the Detroit Chapter will be held for SABR Day 2013.
The day will begin with an optional lunch at Tony Packo's Café at 11:30 a.m. (5827 Monroe St., Sylvania OH 43560). RSVP not required.
The formal meeting starts at Sylvania branch of Toledo-Lucas County Public Library at 1 p.m. (6749 Monroe St., Sylvania).
The lineup for the day:
- Trivia quiz (prepared by Peter Morris)
- Book fair, courtesy of Bob McConnell estate and Bruce Brown
- San Francisco Giants advance scout Brian Johnson will speak at 1:30, followed by Q&A
- Dave Fleitz will speak at 3:00 about his upcoming book on Nap Lajoie, followed by Q&A
- John Husman, Mud Hens historian, will speak at 4:00
- Announcements by each chapter
- General comments and announcements by members
Adjournment at 5:30 or earlier
As always, there is no admission charge. All are welcome, including non-members--so bring a friend or family member.
The Greg Spira Baseball Research Award Committee is now accepting nominations for the first annual award in honor of one of the pioneers in online baseball research.from the press release:
The Greg Spira Baseball Research Award Committee (www.SpiraAward.org) has announced the rules and procedures for nominations for the inaugural Greg Spira Baseball Research Award. The winner of the Greg Spira Award will receive a cash prize of $1,000. The committee will also recognize two additional writers with awards of $200 for second place and $100 for third place.
Join us for an outstanding program on Sunday, September 18th as the SABR Detroit chapter presents the following speakers:
- Lisa Alexander will speak about Race on First, Class on Second, Gender on Third, and Sexuality Up to Bat: Intersectionality and Power in Major League Baseball, 1995–2005. Alexander is a professor of Africana studies at Wayne State and is currently editing her dissertation for publication.
00:09:07 minutes (4.18 MB)
Willie Horton speaks on the Detroit Tigers and race at the April 2008 SABR-Detroit Race and Integration Symposium.
Here are some links to provide a little background on the speakers and panelists for the April 27th Integration Symposium - Late in the Game.